The mandate of the Department is derived from the provision of the County Government Act, 2012.
- To ensure the universal and efficient supply of water and sanitation services and facilitate equitable socio economic development.
- To mainstream environmental, climate and mineral concerns into overall planning, implementation and monitoring of County government and partners, so as to reduce environmental degradation and strengthen the role of environment and natural resources in reducing poverty;
- To raise real awareness of the importance of environmental matters within County; stressing social and economic importance as well as ecological consequences. Key issues for inclusion include monitoring, mitigation and adaptation to Climate Change, Water resources development and management, Sustainable Land Management, tap on Carbon markets through carbon trading.
- To generate, disseminate and use knowledge and information for the better conservation and management of environment and natural resources.
- To ensure all County development activities are environmentally friendly by complying with environmental laws and regulation as stipulated in the Kenyan Constitution.
- Prioritization of water use according to needs.
- Coordination of all water and sanitation activities.
- Capacity building of all water services actors.
To provide an enabling environment to access safe water and sanitation services in a clean, secure and sustainably managed environment.
To effectively promote, protect, provide, monitor and sustainably manage the environment and natural resources for provision of safe water services in a clean, sustainable and secure environment.
- Appreciation of diversity
- Customer/Client focused
- Transparency and accountability
- Team work
- Good governance